Greek Christmas Cookies or melomakarona is a traditional Greek sweet that are made mainly during Christmas time. This recipe is of our grandmother and is the one that generations in our family follow. Enjoy and happy baking!!
- 1 1/2 cup Olea EVOO
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon Olea thyme honey
- 1/2 cup mixed orange/lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1 table spoon cinnamon/clove mix
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 cup brandy
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup crushed walnuts (close to a fine powder)
- 2 lbs flour
- 2 lbs Olea thyme honey
- 1 cup water
- Preheat oven at 350oF
- In a large bowl mix the Olea EVOO, sugar, honey, cinnamon/clove mix, orange zest, baking powder, baking soda, brandy and orange/lemon juice.
- Gradually add the crushed walnuts and stir the mix slowly.
- Gradually add the flour, work the mix and add more flower if needed.
- Roll the dough in small oval shaped cookies. Shape the top with grates.
- Place the cookies on a well oiled cookie sheet and bake at 350oF for 30 minutes.
- While the cookies are baked, prepare the syrup by bringing to a boil the honey and water and keep it to a slow boiling point.
- Remove the foam.
- When the cookies are ready, dip them in the boiling syrup and garnish them with a walnut/sugar mix. You can always add more syrup on top.
- Enjoy with a cup of Olea wild mountain tea!!